What is Accidental Damage Cover and Do I Need It?

by | Jul 25, 2018

Landlord & Domestic home policies generally come in 2 types of cover: Listed/Defined Events, and Accidental Damage. What is the difference?

Listed or Defined Events

This is a basic level of cover. Most insurers describe Listed or Defined Events as*:

  • Fire/Explosion/Smoke
  • Lightning
  • Earthquake/Tsunami
  • Malicious Damage/Vandalism
  • Intentional Damage
  • Escaping liquids
  • Impact
  • Flood, Storm, Rainwater

So if you have Listed Events cover only, your policy will only respond if the damage was caused by one of the described events.
*Conditions of cover will vary from one insurer to another so always read the PDS

Accidental Damage cover

This is generally defined as unexpected and unpredictable events such as spillages & breakages. AD cover is usually an optional upgrade to basic Listed Events cover. It includes cover for all of the standard Listed Events, and adds cover for Accidental Damage. It is the most comprehensive property cover you can get for standard Home & Landlord policies.


  • Someone spills red wine on your white carpet,
  • You drop something onto a stone benchtop and crack the benchtop,
  • You hammer a nail into the wall and strike a water pipe.

These damages would not be covered under a basic Listed Events policy, but will most likely be covered if you have opted for an Accidental Damage policy. Insured limits may also be higher under an AD policy.

So to summarise…

If you are looking for cover that will protect you from just the major risks and perils at a lower cost, Listed/Defined Events cover will do. If you are looking for fully comprehensive cover that will give you maximum protection, go for Accidental Damage cover (recommended if the property is your primary residence). It costs more, but the peace of mind is priceless.

Need insurance? Get in touch.