Landlord Insurance 

Properties for rent come in all shapes and sizes. How they’re used can vary just as much.

From long-term lets to Short Stay holiday rentals, finding the right insurance can be a minefield. Ceneta can help.

Landlord Insurance 

Properties for rent come in all shapes and sizes. How they’re used can vary just as much.

From long-term lets to Short Stay holiday rentals, finding the right insurance can be a minefield. Ceneta can help.

What kind of properties need insurance?

  • An entire property being let to Short Stay/Airbnb guests, that you don’t live in.
  • A long-term let property with a residential tenancy lease.
  • Your holiday home is let to Short Stay guests when the family is not using it.
  • Your primary residence which you are letting while you are away.

Each of these scenarios requires a different insurance solution and finding the right one can be a minefield. Make no mistake… it’s complicated, and you don’t want to get it wrong. You’ve got enough to do dealing with cleaners, guests, and booking platforms. Let Ceneta take the hassle out of sorting your insurance.


Ceneta are insurance brokers with years of experience in all types of landlord insurance.

We know all the insurers in this space. And all their product features and exclusions so we can find the perfect fit for your property. We will get quotes from multiple insurers, and then present you with the best value quote, saving you time and heartache.

If you have an insurance claim, you’ll be glad to have a broker on your side. We manage your claim with the insurer to achieve the best possible outcome, so you can get on with running your property.


Insurance solutions may vary by insurer, but usually include:

  • Public Liability cover for at least $20 million
  • Damage cover for Buildings & Contents
  • Cover for Malicious & Intentional Damage
  • Optional Loss of Rent cover
  • Optional Tenant Theft cover
  • Optional Accidental Damage cover
  • Rent Default cover for long-term let properties
Ceneta No Bull Stamp

Reach out for a chat today and peace of mind tomorrow.

Tailor-made insurance

We take the time to learn about your business and tailor an insurance program that’s right for you.

Personal service

We don’t use call centres. When you call, you will be able to speak with one of our friendly brokers.

We’ve got muscle!

With the backing of PSC Network, we have access to market-leading insurance products for your every need.

Pay by the month

Want to pay in instalments? We can arrange premium funding through our funding providers (charges apply).

Want to switch brokers?
It's easier than you think.

If you're unhappy with your current broker you can switch without fuss. Transfer your existing policies to us for a refreshing approach to insurance. Ask us how.

“Veronica was not only very responsive but she was able to offer a product that covered my needs and one which I was unable to get from any other company. I am very happy with the price too.”

Barry Wilson


Why use a broker?

Using a broker means you’ll have expert advice on hand to help find solutions to your specific insurance needs, including the most difficult of business risks.

Insurance cover can be complex, and it changes. Working with a broker means you’re getting expert advice about the type of insurance you need to best manage your risks and protect your assets.

Your insurance broker will work with you to identify the key insurance risks that you or your business face. In the event of a claim, your Broker is your best friend. They will manage your claim and liaise with the insurer to achieve the best possible outcome.

Is all short stay insurance the same?

No, definitely not. Short stay is not a class of insurance in its own right: the insurance class is normally Landlord insurance, and Short Stay may be a permitted use under the terms of that policy. Most Landlord insurance will not allow Short Stay, so never assume.

The cost of the policy will vary, depending on the cover required. There are also variables such as whether you are letting rooms within your primary residence, or an entire house or apartment. Every insurer and their products have different acceptance criteria, so you need a broker to advise you on the best option for you.

How much should I insure my Building for?

When deciding sums insured, you should always think in terms of total loss (ie: if a fire were to destroy everything).

Building sum insured:

Should reflect the total cost of rebuilding the dwelling and any other structures such as garages, carports, granny flats, etc.

  • Includes built-in items such as kitchen benches, walls, floors, doors, cabinetry, showers & toilets
  • You could ask a local builder for a rule of thumb estimate, or use one of the many building calculators you can find online.


Your building sum insured is not the same as the price you paid for your property when you bought it: that includes the value of the land.

How much should I insure my Contents for?

When deciding sums insured, you should always think in terms of total loss (ie: if a fire were to destroy everything). Contents can be broadly defined as anything you would take with you if you were moving.

  • Furniture, portable items.
  • Contents also include the value of carpets & internal window coverings such as curtains & blinds.
What are personal effects?
  • Personal effects are usually covered under a Home & Contents policy, but not normally under a Landlord policy.
  • They are not the same as contents.
  • Personal effects are things you own or carry on your person and can include clothing, jewellery, personal electronics, sporting gear, etc.
  • These are things that would not be available for tenants to use.
  • If you keep personal effects things a tenant is not allowed to use) at your rental property, they won’t be covered under a Landlord policy
Is it a problem if I under-estimate the value of my Buildings or Contents?

Do not fall into the trap of under-insuring your assets in an effort to keep premiums low. Under-insurance is a very serious problem and can result in an insurer reducing or even denying a claims payout if they suspect you have under-valued your assets. In the event of a catastrophe like fire or floods, your payout may be too low to enable you to rebuild.

Is my property a bed & breakfast?

A registered Bed & Breakfast is not the same thing as an Airbnb property. There are council, planning, licencing, and registration requirements for Bed & Breakfasts, which by definition usually include a level of food service. Always check with your local council or state authorities to see if there are any licencing requirements in your area. Visit the Business Victoria website for more information.

Why haven’t I heard of the insurer that you have recommended?

There are 2 types of insurers in the world:

  • Direct-to-market insurers – are the household name insurers that you see advertising every day. They sell their products directly to consumers. You can buy your insurance directly from them, often online. They typically deal in retail products like Home, Motor Vehicle, and Travel insurances.
  • Intermediated insurers – These insurers will only sell their products through licenced insurance brokers, often because the products are of a more complex nature and require professional advice. For instance, for businesses requiring Public Liability, Professional Indemnity, Industrial Special Risk, and other business covers.
Who do I call if I want to lodge a claim?

Call your broker first!

They can guide you through the next steps in order to get your claim lodged and get you sorted.

It’s part of our service to advocate on your behalf with your insurer. Many insurers will not deal directly with policy-holders, so all communication needs to be via your Broker.

Need a quote? Tell us your story.