Understanding Property types

Updated: Jul 11, 2018

Not sure whether your place is a townhouse, a terrace or a duplex? It could make a difference to your insurance premium so it pays to get it right when you are getting a quote. Here is some guidance from our friends at IAL Insurance.

Freestanding House – A House separate from other properties, with no shared walls.

Townhouse – A residence that is part of a development of similar residences in the same complex, often part of a Strata Plan and can sometimes be referred to as a villa.

Terrace - One of a row of multi storey residences (usually identical) that all share a wall but with separate house and land titles.

Apartment/Flat/Unit – A residence in a larger building that’s one of a number of similar residences in the same building, often part of a Strata Plan.

Semi Detached – A residence which shares one common wall with a similar residence on separate house and land titles.

Duplex/Triplex/Quadplex – Adjoining residences with common walls and on separate titles. If owner of whole duplex/triplex/quadplex on same title then quote as owner block of flats/units/apartments.

Block of Flats/Units/Apartments – You own a whole block of similar residences that make up an entire building and rent out the individual units to long term tenants with Rental Agreements.

Granny Flat – Self-contained accommodation either part of a house or on the same land title.

Need a quote for your property insurance? Contact Ceneta


The information provided is general advice only and does not take account of your personal circumstances or needs. You should consider the PDS prior to making the decision to purchase this product. Please refer to our financial services guide which contains details of our services and how we are remunerated.

Need to know more? Contact Ceneta Insurance Services

AR 332815 | Authorised Representative of PSC Connect Pty Ltd

ABN 23 141 574 914 | AFS License No 344648

202 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All